Sunday, November 14, 2010

Baby D, Arabian Nights & the "Creeper Couple"

October's been a fun month!

This last year I've had the opportunity to Visit Teach a great friend, Melanie. She and her husband, Paul are expecting had their first child, Daniel (who I lovingly refer to as, Baby D). Melanie's sister-in-law threw her a really fun shower in prep for his arrival! It was under the sea themed and even though they advertised a 'light dinner to be served' it was a full on delicious spread that filled me up quite nicely. We played fun games, laughed some good laughs, and got to see all the fun gifts.

Now, deep inside of me, I love to craft. Unfortunately, I rarely have the time or energy (sad, I know). However, for Melanie and Paul I wanted to make something special. Paul is really big into mixed martial arts and loves all things 'boy.' So, with my creative wheels turning I started: Project Daddy will feel cool holding me onsies. I had Paul open up the gift at the shower, and he jokingly said, "Is it a Bruce Lee baseball?" I had to laugh at how he got part of it right! Meet Batman, Autobot & Bruce Lee:


I think he really enjoyed it and now Adam's all stoked for me to do some for our future babies. He said he'd want me to do all of the above, as well as some Utah Ute paraphernalia, Bono's face from U2, and some Peanut characters. Cute, no?!

Me, Beautiful mother to be Melanie, Susie
We also had our ward trunk or treat the weekend of Halloween, and had a fun time seeing all of our ward kids dressed up. As part of the trunk of treat, you were supposed to decorate your trunk.
Enter dilemma: we were drawing a blank!!

Luckily, down to crunch time, Adam had an idea inspiration!

Adam was in Morocco this last summer learning Arabic at a language school in Rabat. When he came home he brought with him some traditional clothes that the Moroccan people like to wear (think large moomoo with fancy threading). So, we decided to do an Arabian Night themed car. Genius? Yes. Traditional Halloween? Not particularly. Fun? You betcha!

We draped two twin-sized sheets we had around the house to make it feel more tent-like, and I carved a camel and a magic lamp pumpkin to put among the pillows in our trunk. We then had some Aladdin music playing on our ipod player. It was great!  


Here's us with our Turbans
We also had our friend, Spikey-haired Matt, over for dinner and to carve pumpkins.

Matt and his music notes
Me and my owl - hoot hoot
Adam and his Utah Ute

With Halloween being on a Sunday this year, it didn't really feel like Halloween. We never get trick-or-treaters in our neighborhood, so we end up eating any candy we buy ourselves (which is why we'll get the stuff WE like). Probably not so good for the waist line, but we wanted to get a head start on our holiday end of the year splurges :)

After our Stake Conference on Halloween Sunday, Adam and I decided to go on a walk to enjoy the last few moments of daylight. Before we left Adam asked if he thought we'd see any kids out. I looked at him blankly and said something along the lines of, why would be see that? Totally forgetting that it was Halloween. Chalk one up to being tired (at least that's the excuse I fall back on).

Anywho, Adam and I walked around our neighborhood dressed up as the CREEPER COUPLE (you know, the ones who don't have any kids, but are out ogling all the cute kids dressed up?) Yah that was us. I'm sure we frightened the parents of said cute kids, but when you're the CREEPER COUPLE, I guess you're supposed to be, well, creepy!

At least Halloween 2011 isn't on a Sunday and we can maybe tone down the creepiness of the CREEPER COUPLE by following our nieces and nephews around...at least for the sake of the children, we hope so.

2 comments:

  1. Those onsies are so cute! Great job making them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you guys carved so many pumpkins!! That is so great!

    Love you blog!!

    :) G

    ReplyDelete